Neurology and neurosurgery
Neurology is the medical specialty that focuses on studying and treating pathologies of the nervous system. Neurosurgery has made significant advancements in Tunisia, thanks in particular to the expertise of the country’s neurologists and the modernity of medical infrastructure. For your surgical procedure, you can trust our medical teams in Tunisia. You will be welcomed in state-of-the-art medical facilities and receive the best treatments available.
Neurosurgery is a branch of medicine that deals with the surgical treatment of conditions affecting the nervous system, including the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves.
Here are some common neurosurgery procedures :
- Craniotomy : This is a surgical procedure that involves opening the skull to access the brain. It is performed to remove brain tumors, relieve pressure on the brain, repair blood vessel abnormalities, and treat other conditions ;
- Spinal surgery : There are several types of spinal surgeries, including discectomy, laminectomy, and fusion. These procedures are used to treat conditions such as herniated discs, spinal stenosis, and spinal tumors ;
- Deep brain stimulation : This is a procedure in which electrodes are implanted in specific areas of the brain to treat movement disorders such as Parkinson’s disease, essential tremor, and dystonia ;
- Endovascular surgery : This is a minimally invasive procedure in which a catheter is inserted through a blood vessel to access the brain or spinal cord. It is used to treat conditions such as aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations, and stroke ;
- Neuroendoscopy : This is a minimally invasive procedure in which a small camera is inserted through a small incision in the skull to view the brain and perform surgery ;
- Stereotactic radiosurgery : This is a non-invasive procedure that uses high-energy radiation to destroy tumors or other abnormal tissue in the brain or spinal cord ;
These are just a few examples of the many neurosurgery procedures that exist. The specific procedure used will depend on the individual patient’s condition and needs, and should be determined by a qualified medical professional.
Cranial neurosurgery, also known as intracranial neurosurgery, involves surgical procedures performed inside the skull to treat conditions affecting the brain, skull base, and cranial nerves.
Here are some common cranial neurosurgery procedures :
- Craniotomy : This is a procedure in which a portion of the skull is removed to access the brain. It may be performed to remove brain tumors, repair blood vessel abnormalities, or treat other conditions ;
- Transsphenoidal surgery : This is a minimally invasive procedure in which a surgeon accesses the pituitary gland through the nasal cavity. It may be performed to remove pituitary tumors or treat other conditions affecting the gland ;
- Endoscopic endonasal surgery : This is a minimally invasive procedure in which a surgeon accesses the brain and skull base through the nose and sinuses. It may be used to remove tumors, repair cerebrospinal fluid leaks, or treat other conditions ;
- Microvascular decompression : This is a procedure in which a surgeon relieves pressure on cranial nerves by separating them from blood vessels that may be compressing them. It is often used to treat trigeminal neuralgia or hemifacial spasm ;
- Stereotactic radiosurgery : This is a non-invasive procedure that uses high-energy radiation to destroy tumors or other abnormal tissue in the brain. It may be used to treat brain tumors or other conditions ;
These are just a few examples of the many cranial neurosurgery procedures that exist. The specific procedure used will depend on the individual patient’s condition and needs, and should be determined by a qualified medical professional.
Vascular neurosurgery involves surgical procedures performed on blood vessels in the brain and spinal cord to treat conditions such as aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations (AVMs), and stroke.
Here are some common vascular neurosurgery procedures :
- Aneurysm clipping : This is a surgical procedure in which a neurosurgeon places a clip around the base of an aneurysm to prevent it from rupturing and causing a hemorrhage ;
- Endovascular coiling : This is a minimally invasive procedure in which a catheter is inserted into an artery and guided to the site of the aneurysm. Tiny platinum coils are then inserted through the catheter and into the aneurysm to block blood flow and prevent rupture ;
- Arteriovenous malformation (AVM) embolization : This is a minimally invasive procedure in which a catheter is inserted into an artery and guided to the site of the AVM. Tiny particles are then injected through the catheter to block blood flow to the AVM and reduce the risk of hemorrhage ;
- Arteriovenous malformation (AVM) resection : This is a surgical procedure in which a neurosurgeon removes the AVM from the brain or spinal cord. This may be done using open surgery or minimally invasive techniques such as endovascular embolization ;
- Carotid endarterectomy : This is a surgical procedure in which a neurosurgeon removes plaque buildup from the carotid artery in the neck to reduce the risk of stroke ;
- Thrombectomy : This is a minimally invasive procedure in which a neurosurgeon removes a blood clot from a blocked artery in the brain to restore blood flow and reduce the risk of stroke ;
These are just a few examples of the many vascular neurosurgery procedures that exist. The specific procedure used will depend on the individual patient’s condition and needs, and should be determined by a qualified medical professional.
Pediatric neurosurgery is a specialized branch of neurosurgery that deals with the surgical treatment of disorders affecting the brain, spinal cord, and nervous system in children. Pediatric neurosurgeons are highly skilled specialists who have received extensive training in the diagnosis and treatment of neurological disorders in children, from newborns to adolescents.
Some of the common conditions that pediatric neurosurgeons may treat include :
- Hydrocephalus : A condition where there is an excess accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid in the brain, causing pressure and damage to the brain tissues ;
- Brain tumors : Abnormal growths in the brain that may be benign or malignant ;
- Spina bifida : A congenital birth defect where the spinal column fails to close properly, leading to neurological complications ;
- Epilepsy : A neurological disorder that causes seizures ;
- Craniosynostosis : A condition where the sutures in a baby’s skull fuse too early, causing an abnormal head shape and potential developmental issues ;
Pediatric neurosurgeons may use a variety of techniques to treat these conditions, including minimally invasive surgery, endoscopic surgery, traditional open surgery, and stereotactic radiosurgery. They also work closely with other medical professionals, such as pediatricians, neurologists, and physical therapists, to provide comprehensive care for their patients.
Overall, pediatric neurosurgery is a highly specialized field that requires extensive training and expertise to provide safe and effective treatment for children with neurological disorders.
Spinal neurosurgery is a specialized branch of neurosurgery that deals with the diagnosis and surgical treatment of conditions affecting the spinal column, including the spinal cord and nerve roots. Spinal neurosurgeons are highly trained specialists who use advanced surgical techniques to treat a range of spinal conditions that cause pain, weakness, or loss of function.
Some of the common spinal conditions that may require surgical intervention include :
- Herniated disc : A condition where the soft tissue inside a spinal disc bulges out and presses against a nerve root, causing pain and other symptoms ;
- Spinal stenosis : A narrowing of the spinal canal that puts pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots, causing pain and weakness ;
- Scoliosis : A curvature of the spine that can cause pain, deformity, and neurological symptoms ;
- Spinal tumors : Abnormal growths that can compress the spinal cord or nerve roots, causing pain and other symptoms ;
- Spinal fractures : Broken bones in the spinal column that can cause instability, pain, and neurological symptoms ;
Spinal neurosurgeons use a variety of surgical techniques to treat these conditions, including minimally invasive surgery, spinal fusion, and decompression surgery. They also work closely with other medical professionals, such as physical therapists, pain management specialists, and rehabilitation specialists, to provide comprehensive care for their patients.
Overall, spinal neurosurgery is a highly specialized field that requires extensive training and expertise to provide safe and effective treatment for patients with spinal conditions. With advances in technology and surgical techniques, spinal neurosurgeons can often provide minimally invasive and highly effective treatments for patients with spinal disorders.
Experienced Neurologists in Tunisia
By scheduling your neurosurgery operation in Tunisia with Tunisia Medical Travel, you will be connected with the country’s top specialists. Our multidisciplinary teams, specialized in neurosurgery and neuroradiology, work together to provide the best possible care for patients. You will be treated by internationally renowned neurologists, and your surgery will take place in state-of-the-art medical facilities. You will be welcomed in a safe and comfortable environment and supported by a competent and always friendly team.
What does a neurologist treat?
Some of the conditions treated by a neurologist include:
- Alzheimer’s disease ;
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease) ;
- Back pain ;
- Brain and spinal cord injury or infection ;
- Brain tumor ;
- Epilepsy ;
- Headaches ;
- Multiple sclerosis ;
- Parkinson’s disease ;
- Peripheral neuropathy is a condition that specifically targets the nerves ;
- Pinched nerves ;
- Seizures ;
- Stroke ;
- Tremors (uncontrolled movements) ;
- Neurological examinations and procedures ;
When you visit the neurologist, they will inquire about your medical history and symptoms. You will also undergo a physical examination focused on your brain and nerves.
The neurologist may assess:
- Mental state ;
- Speech ;
- Vision ;
- Strength ;
- Coordination ;
- Reflexes ;
- Sensation (how well you feel things) ;
- Based on the examination, the neurologist can form a preliminary diagnosis, but further tests may be required for confirmation ;
Tailored to your specific symptoms, a range of tests may be recommended to ascertain the underlying cause, and these examinations can encompass:
- Blood and urine tests to check for infections, toxins, or protein disorders ;
- Brain or spinal imaging scans to search for tumors, brain lesions, or issues with blood vessels, bones, nerves, or discs ;
- An examination of brain function called an electroencephalogram (EEG). Small patches called electrodes are placed on your scalp and connected to a machine via wires. The machine records the electrical activity in your brain ;
- A test of communication between a nerve and the muscle it controls, called an electromyogram (EMG). This is done using electrodes on your skin or a needle inserted into a muscle ;
- Evoked potential tests to measure your brain’s response to stimuli, such as sound, vision, and certain nerves. These are similar to an EEG, but your doctor will provide sounds or flashes to observe your brain’s reactions ;
- A small amount of fluid is withdrawn from your spinal column to check for blood or infection. This is known as a lumbar puncture or spinal tap ;
- Muscle or nerve biopsy to examine for signs of specific neuromuscular disorders. In order to gather more information and obtain a precise diagnosis, a minuscule tissue sample is extracted and meticulously scrutinized using a microscope ;
- In order to diagnose myasthenia gravis, a condition characterized by muscle weakness, a Tensilon test may be conducted. During this test, your physician administers edrophonium (Tensilon), a medication that temporarily alleviates weakness by strengthening specific muscles ;
With Tunisia Medical Travel, everything is done to simplify the procedures for organizing your medical value trip in Tunisia. For any information or to assemble your medical file, simply contact us by phone or through our online form. Our team is always ready to assist you and provide all the information you need.